Applying for a Visa
Before studying or teaching in Korea, you must apply for the appropriate visa at an overseas Korean embassy or consulate. Please check with the nearest overseas embassy or consulate for instructions on visa application as it may vary by location. Once approved, please check your visa’s expiration date. You may need to apply for an extension prior to departure.
- Student Visa (D-2): for general students seeking degree at SNU or exchange/visiting students
- Training Visa (D-4): for students who will attend Korean language programs only
- Research Visa (E-3): for researchers conducting research activities in a lab or research institute
- Professorship Visa (E-1): for professors seeking to give lectures in an educational facility
- Overseas Korean Visa (F-4): Overseas Koreans
Student Visa (D-2)
- Visa Issuance Application Form
- *Certificate of Admission (Issuance from the president or chief dean of a university)
- A color photo (3.5cm x 4.5cm)
- A copy of certificate of business administration
- Certificate of the latest scholastic achievement
- Documented proof of your financial ability (amount of money equivalent to the tuition fee and living expenses for a year: 20,000 USD)
- Note: The Korean Embassy or Consulate abroad may ask you to submit additional documents.
*Certificate of Admission
The certificate of admission is an official document which is approved by Ministry of Justice and iussed by Seoul National University. It is only required for international students during visa application and the document which approves admission to regular degree programs of individual foreign students at SNU. If any modification/re-issuance is required on the document, students should contact directly with staff in I-Office in charge.
Contact: email@example.com, Tel. +82-2-880-4447
For Chinese application ONLY
Documents must be submitted to Office of International Affairs in SNU for receiving 'Certificate No. of Visa Issuance' required for their visa application.
Professorship Visa (E-1)
- Visa Application Form
- Confirmation letter from SNU
- Photo (3.5cm x 4.5cm)
- Certificate of experiences and degree
- Employment contract, confirmation of the professor appointment
- SNU registration certificate
The duration of the visa is determined by the Korean consular officer, and the expiration date on your visa may not match the ending date of your degree program or employment contract. If your visa expires before you complete your program, you will need to apply for a visa extension at the Korean Immigration Office.
D-2 Visa Extension
Reservations for the extension of stay can be made up to 4 months in advance of the expiration date of stay.
* One-day advance policy: You should make a reservation at least one day prior to the optenial appointment date. Therefore, a reservation made on the appointment day is not effective.
- Residence Card
- Visa Extension Application Form
- Certificate of Enrollment
- Proof of Bank Account and Necessary Funds (including tuition fee statement and proof of living expenses)
- Proof of Residency
- Students’ Thesis Schedule with Faculty confirmation
- Service Charge
* Visa extension will be restricted according to students' academic schedule. Especially for students who completed course, they will be permitted extension of stay only 1.5 years (Master's course), 3 years (Ph.D course). Students MUST graduate within the period no matter what. Also, please note that visa will be automatically canceled within 30 days according to the school registration change such as dis-enrollment, dropout, leave of absence, expulsion, graduation or Korean nationality acquisition.
Change of Visa to D-2 Visa
To change from another visa type to D-2 visa while staying in the Korea, submit the following to Korean Immigration Office:
- Residence Card
- 2 recent color photos (3.5cm x 4.5cm)
- Application Form
- Certificate of Admission and/or Certificate of Enrollment
- Proof of bank account and necessary funds or a notarized letter from guarantor
- Certificate of the latest scholartic achievement
- Service charge
Visa applicant must claim their visa within 3 months after:
- the date of application or
- the notification date of Minister of Justice's approval (Applicable only if one is needed)
Otherwise, the applicant must apply for a new visa. Required documents can be added or changed depending on individual circumstances.
E-1 Visa Extension
- Application Form
- A Standardized Photo (3.5cm x 4.5cm)
- Proof of Residency
- Employment Contract (Original and Copy)
* If you are hiring a representative, you must submit the power of attorney, proof of employment of your representative and your representative IDs.
HiKorea is the main site of the electronic government for foreigners, jointly created by the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Knowledge Economy and the Ministry of Labor. It was created with the purpose of providing investment, employment, residence and everyday living related information and services from a single source to foreigners visiting Korea.
How to register Residence Card
For alien registration that requires an in-person application, visit reservation must be made through HiKorea website.
How to register other immigration affairs
Except for alien registration, almost all application for immigration affairs (alteration of residence, change of information on alien registration, re-entry permit, part-time work permit, extension of sojourn period, etc.) can be made online through HiKorea website.