Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP)
The Ministry of Education offers a scholarship program for international students from countries that have concluded a bilateral cultural agreement with Korea. Foreign scholarship students are actively making contributions throughout the world in numerous fields such as education, diplomacy and enterprise.
- Both an applicant and his/her parents must be citizens of their country of origin.(※ Applicants should not hold Korean citizenship.)
- Applicants should have adequate health, both mentally and physically, to stay in a foreign country for a long time.
- Should be under 40 years of age at the date of entrance. (Graduate)
- Possess a grade point average (G.P.A.) above 80% from the last educational institution attended.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree or a Master's degree by the date of arrival. (Graduate)
Applicants who have previously achieved in any undergraduate program, master’s program, or doctoral program in Korea cannot apply for this program. However, a former or current KGSP scholar who hold the overall grade of 90% or above can reapply to this program once either through the embassy or university track.
Details of the Award
- Scholarship Period
- Master’s Degree: Korean language course(up to 1 year) + 2 year Degree Course
- Doctoral Degree: Korean language course(up to 1 year) + 3 year Degree Course
- Korea Language Training
- Grantees are required to take Korean language training courses for 1 year at a language institution located on-campus of the domestic universities. (Those who have attained a Korean language fluency score higher than level 5 in TOPIK are exempt from this requirement.)
- Scholarship Benefit
- Round Trip Airfare, Monthly Allowance, Research Allowance, Settlement Allowance, Language Training Fee, Tuition, Dissertation Printing Costs, Medical insurance, etc.
- Application Process
|Announcement released||Feb. in the year of planned studies in Korea|
(Korean Embassies, designated universities)
|Mar.-Apr. in the year of planned studies in Korea|
|Results released||June in the year of planned studies in Korea|
|Arrival in Korea||Late Aug. in the year of planned studies|
- NIIED invites the Korean Embassy in the invited country or a domestic university to recommend potential candidates.
- Applicants should submit all documents related to their scholarship application to the Korean Embassy in their country of residence to or the domestic university concerned.
- The Korean Embassy or the domestic university sends proper candidates to NIIED with the required documents.NIIED evaluates potential candidates and notifies the Korean Embassy of the final selected KGSP grantees.
Required Documents and Further Information
- Please visit NIIED website and check the recruitment announcement announced every year
* NIIED website: http://www.studyinkorea.go.kr (English version) ⇒ Scholarships ⇒ GKS Notice