Inbound Programs

Office of International Affairs (OIA),
as SNU's headquarter for developing and promoting its international programs and initiatives,
welcomes all students and scholars to SNU's vibrant intellectual community.

Exchange program is for students in SNUs partner universities who wish to study at SNU for one or two semesters and transfer credits to their home institution. To be an exchange student, candidates must be officially nominated by their home institution and pay the tuition fee at their home institution.

Application Candidates selected by home university and officially nominated to SNU Required to directly apply to SNU and pay for the application fee (82,000 KRW)
Document Submission Online application ONLY Both online application and postal submission of original documents required
Tuition Fee To home university only To SNU
Course Students can choose courses even outside their major/department at SNU
*Note: Some courses may have restrictions
Credit Transfer Transferrable Required to check with home university first
Scholarship Eligible
*Scholarship availability might vary by semester.
Official Transcript Posted to home university Issuable upon request (fee-paying)
Korean Language
Fee-paying; full or partial financial support to be provided
*Korean studies major: 100% tuition fee waiver
The rest: Partial reimbursement (30-50%)
Fee-paying; no financial subsidy available
Student Life
Visa and Immigration Exchange Student Visa (D-2-6) Short-term Study Visa (D-2-8)
*Maximum 1 years; part-time jobs and internships may not be permitted.
On-campus Housing Eligible Ineligible
Student Services and Support Various types of health care and student support services, including buddy program, are available.

To apply for SNU student exchange program, your home university must first nominate you to SNU. Once nominated, SNU or your home university will provide you with the details about the application procedure. Please visit the following website to have more information.
Once we receive all the application materials, we will forward them to the specific department that you have selected during the online application process. The department’s screening committee will review your credentials on the basis of the submitted documents and will make a decision whether to accept you or not. Therefore, it is important for you to choose a college and department that most suits your academic background and study purpose.
Once accepted, you will be admitted to the college and department as a non-degree-seeking exchange student and can access modules and facilities with the same access with the one that domestic students have.
Dormitory application guide will be provided to the students who are offered acceptance from SNU. While all exchange students can apply for the on-campus dormitory, Gwanak Residence Halls and Global Residence Halls, the room assignment is not guaranteed due to lack of spaces. Please visit the following website to know more information about on-campus housing.
You can request for information on off-campus housing to SNU OIA or ask your SNU buddy for help. While SNU will assist you in searching for housing, it is your own responsibility to obtain and maintain the off-campus housing contract.
Course registration guide will be provided to the students who are offered acceptance from SNU. In general, course registration is scheduled at the beginning of August for Fall semester and at the beginning of February for Spring semester. Undergraduate students can take up to 18 credits, while graduates can take up to 12 credits.
You can find the course list and syllabi on SNU course registration website. Please note that the final course catalog is updated online every July for Fall semester and January for Spring semester. Until then, you should refer to the catalogs of the previous semesters.
Yes, you can take courses that are provided from other colleges and departments. However, please note that some courses have restrictions.
SNU OIA will send one original copy of the transcript to your home university by the end of July and end of January for Fall and Spring semester.
All the non-Korean exchange students must apply for student visa (D-2) after receiving the acceptance packet from SNU. You have to visit your local Korean embassy/consulate with Certificate of Admission (CoA) which is to be enclosed in the packet along with other supporting documents. Please contact your nearest Korean Embassy/Consulate for more details on the visa application process.
No, it is illegal for you to participate in student exchange program with a tourist visa. You must obtain a student visa (D-2) before your arrival in Korea to study at SNU. If you have already obtained a different type of visa, you must check with the Korean Immigration Office in advance to confirm if your existing visa type is applicable for continuing the student exchange program.
SNU runs SNU Buddy, a student group helping exchange students’ settlement at SNU. SNU buddy organizes various events and activities throughout the semester. All exchange students offered acceptance will receive an invitation e-mail to join the SNU buddy before the beginning of the semester.

Noverber 4, 2019