Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP)
The Ministry of Education offers a scholarship program for international students from countries that have concluded a bilateral cultural agreement with Korea. Foreign scholarship students are actively making contributions throughout the world in numerous fields such as education, diplomacy and enterprise.
- Both an applicant and his/her parents must be citizens of their country of origin.(※ Applicants should not hold Korean citizenship.)
- Applicants should have adequate health, both mentally and physically, to stay in a foreign country for a long time.
- Should be under 40 years of age at the date of entrance. (Graduate)
- Possess a grade point average (G.P.A.) above 80% from the last educational institution attended.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree or a Master's degree by the date of arrival. (Graduate)
Applicants who have previously achieved in any undergraduate program, master’s program, or doctoral program in Korea cannot apply for this program. However, a former or current KGSP scholar who hold the overall grade of 90% or above can reapply to this program once either through the embassy or university track.
Details of the Award
- Scholarship Period
- Master’s Degree: Korean language course(up to 1 year) + 2 year Degree Course
- Doctoral Degree: Korean language course(up to 1 year) + 3 year Degree Course
- Korea Language Training
- Grantees are required to take Korean language training courses for 1 year at a language institution located on-campus of the domestic universities. (Those who have attained a Korean language fluency score higher than level 5 in TOPIK are exempt from this requirement.)
- Scholarship Benefit
- Round Trip Airfare, Monthly Allowance, Research Allowance, Settlement Allowance, Language Training Fee, Tuition, Dissertation Printing Costs, Medical insurance, etc.
- Application Process
|Announcement released||Feb. in the year of planned studies in Korea|
(Korean Embassies, designated universities)
|Mar.-Apr. in the year of planned studies in Korea|
|Results released||June in the year of planned studies in Korea|
|Arrival in Korea||Late Aug. in the year of planned studies|
- NIIED invites the Korean Embassy in the invited country or a domestic university to recommend potential candidates.
- Applicants should submit all documents related to their scholarship application to the Korean Embassy in their country of residence to or the domestic university concerned.
- The Korean Embassy or the domestic university sends proper candidates to NIIED with the required documents.NIIED evaluates potential candidates and notifies the Korean Embassy of the final selected KGSP grantees.
Required Documents and Further Information
- Please visit NIIED website and check the recruitment announcement announced every year
- * NIIED website: http://www.studyinkorea.go.kr (English version) ⇒ Scholarships ⇒ GKS Notice
- Enquiries about Scholarship Application
- SNU Office of Admissions: +82-2-880-6971, firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Institute for International Education : +82-2-3668-1364, email@example.com
- Enquiries about Scholarship Benefits
- SNU Office of International Affairs: +82-880-2519, firstname.lastname@example.org
"Thank You" from Scholarship Recipients
Kgsp scholarship provided me an opportunity to study in SNU. Although classes in SNU are intense, but these classes have been helping me to think in depth and broaden my understanding about different concepts which have also been helping me to have clear vision towards my career. I am grateful for SNU for pushing me to work harder and helping me to have clear vision towards my career.
Pradhan Era College of Business Administration (Fall 2017~Spring 2019) Korean Government Scholarship Program (Fall 2017~Spring 2019)
Thanks to the KGSP program, I can achieve my goal of one of which is to learn Korean language education and become a worthy teacher of Korean in my homeland. While studying at one of the best universities in the Republic of Korea, I got the opportunity to meet with the best teachers and students who strive for self-development. I will try to absorb as much knowledge as possible in the area that I have chosen during my studies.
Omarova Zhanna College of Education (Fall 2018~) Korean Government Scholarship Program (Fall 2018~Spring 2020)
I am so blessed being a recipient of this scholarship and been able to study in the country's most prestigious university - SNU. It has been an amazing experience learning my major as well as Korean language and culture. Thank you for you generosity that enables students like me to pursue my dreams. You have been a great blessing to us. Again, thank you so much and God bless you!
Tadeo Danilo Jr College of Education (Fall 2016~) Korean Government Scholarship Program (Fall 2016~Spring 2019)
I come from a low income family and to be able to pursue graduate studies is already a dream come true, but to be able to study in such a prestigious university in this country is more than I could ever have ask for. Thank you SNU for believing in me.
Micky Belanger College of Education (Fall 2018~) Korean Government Scholarship Program (Fall 2018~Spring 2020)
It was a great honour to receive the Global Korea Scholarship offered by the Korean government to foreign students intending to pursue their postgraduate education in South Korea. Thanks to the scholarship, I have never had to worry about my tuition fee or living expenses, and this has enabled me to concentrate better on coursework and research. I profusely thank SNU for having faith in my abilities and helping me realise my potential.
Sadhana Sridhar Graduate School of International Studies (Fall 2019~) Korean Government Scholarship Program (Fall 2019~Spring 2021)
I have been incredibly fortunate to receive a scholarship that has allowed me to pursue a Doctoral degree at Seoul National University. As a recipient of this generous scholarship, I have been able to complete all of my courses and focus on my studies without any financial burden. This opportunity has helped me tremendously in the pursuit of my degree in Educational Technology.
Jennifer Lopez College of Education (Fall 2017~) Korean Government Scholarship Program (Fall 2017~Spring 2020)
Thanks a lot for supporting my educational expenses and living expenses. Without your kind and friendly help, I would have no opportunity to study abroad and meet so many good people, which changed my view of the world a lot. I learned how to love here and will share it after I come back to China.
FENG ZIHUAN College of Social Sciences (Fall 2018~) Korean Government Scholarship Program (Fall 2018~Spring 2020)
Due to the KGSP scholarship, I have a great opportunity to pursue higher studies in the sustainable energy sector and accomplish the goal in life. The laboratory environment and the approach of instructor guidance provide a comprehensive aspect of success. I am also thankful to the Korean Government and the Seoul National University they give me a chance to learn and understand the culture of the Korean life.
Muhammad Amin College of Engineering (Spring 2019~) Korean Government Scholarship Program (Spring 2019~Fall 2022)
Being a KGSP scholar's gives me the opportunity to pursue my study at Seoul National university without worry for not only studies fees but also my life expenses. The community of KGSP also is like a second family for me who are far away from my country and provides a chance to get a multicultural exchange. For all of theses reasons and more, I express my sincere gratitude towards those who finance this scholarship
ANDRIAMANANTENA RAMASIARISOA VONIHANITRINIAINA DIAMONDRA ZOHARILALA College of Engineering (Fall 2019~) Korean Government Scholarship Program (Fall 2019~Spring 2021)
May 13, 2020